Monday, October 27, 2014

Observation 2

                My first observation of my MicroAquarium under the microscope took place on October 23. After retrieving my MicroAquarium from the bin assigned to my lab section, I placed my MicroAquarium under the microscope and was able to observe many different types of organisms with the assistance of Dr. McFarland and the book Guide to Microlife, from which I obtained many of the scientific facts below.

                  There were numerous examples of microscopic life in my aquarium, both prokaryotic and eukaryotic. One protist I observed in my MicroAquarium was Gamophyta Zygnema algae, a freshwater green algae that is structured into long threads. They are important for their vegetative reproduction function, and according to my observation they appeared to be stationary organisms.

                    Some Eukaryotic organisms that I observed included Euchlanis Rotifers. This interesting organism was transparent in appearance and whose most distinguishable features include two large toes for swimming a structure known as a corona on the head that helps the organisms to grind up their food. When I observed the Euchlanis Rotifer, it was in a great deal of motion, spinning around in the area where the Amblestegium barium was located. It appeared to be alternating between feeding and spinning around looking for food. 

                           One of the most interesting organisms that I observed in my time in the lab on October 23 was an Ostracod, commonly known as a seed shrimp because of their resemblance to small seeds. The seed shrimp that I observed happened to be a muddy white color, and like many of the organisms in my MicroAquarium was feeding. I found this organism the area of my Aquarium where most of the soil was located. 

                        Some interesting observations that I also made were observing non-living organisms as well. For instance, in one of the more open areas of the water I saw the carcass of a crustacean. It is interesting that these dead organisms are still serving a purpose by serving as food for some of the living organisms in my MicroAquarium. 


Bibliography

Rainis, Kenneth G., and Bruce J. Russell. A Guide to Microlife. New York: Franklin Watts, 1996. Print.









No comments:

Post a Comment