Monday, October 20, 2014

Observation 1

Setting up my MicroAquarium

               The first step of setting up my MicroAquarium was obtaining two thick glass slides which formed a mini tank, a stand and a lid. I also took three circular colored stickers to use to code my Aquarium so I can recognize that it is mine. The sticker in the upper left hand corner is light blue for lab section 004. The second sticker below the first one is also light blue for table number one. The final sticker at the bottom is yellow for my seat. I then wrote my initials on the stickers for safety. 
                I then chose a water source for my MicroAquarium. For my MicroAquarium I chose Fountain City Duck Pond as my source. Fountain City Duck Pound is located west of Broadway at Cedar Lane, Knox County Knoxville, TN. This pond has full sun exposure. Spring Feed Pond coordinates N36 02.087 W83 55.967 963 feet. 10/12/2014. 
                I then extracted a small amount of soil from the container holding my water source, and then proceeded to fill up my MicroAquarium with the water source until the tank was around 1/3 of the way full. After this I added two plants to my MicroAquarium with a pair of tweezers. The first plant I added was Amblestegium barium (Hedwig) Lindberg. Moss. Collected from Natural spring, at Carter Mill Park, Carter Mill Road, Knox County, T.N. Partial Shade Exposure N36 01.168 W83 42.832 10/12/2014. The second plant that I added was Utricularia gibba L. Flowering Plant. A carnivorous plant. Original material from south shore of Spain Lake (N 35o55 12.35'' W088o20' 47.00), Camp Bella Air Rd. East of Sparta TN, in White Co. and grown in water tanks outside of greenhouse at Hesler Biology Building. The University of Tennessee. Knox Co. Knoxville, TN. 10/12/2014.
                        After doing this and then sealing the lid on my MicroAquarium, I put my aquarium under the lab microscope for observation. I observed quite a bit of activity and life around the soil and plant areas of the MicroAquarium. I observed some stationary single celled organisms that had circular and rectangular shapes. In the soil I also observed a long and darker colored organism that had a worm-like shape that appeared to be eating perhaps. I also saw many smaller and lighter colored worm-shaped organisms that were moving around throughout the tank. What kinds of organisms these are and their names will hopefully become clear with further observation and research in the lab. 

No comments:

Post a Comment